Our mission is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
Nearly one in five students fails to graduate on time in Washington. Communities In Schools offers a solution to the dropout problem. In partnership with public schools facing the greatest dropout challenges, Communities In Schools brings resources and volunteers into the school to help struggling students get back on track.
Many of the young people we serve are facing challenges both inside and outside the classroom. What sets Communities In Schools apart is the way we coordinate a comprehensive range of services to support all the needs of these students—academic and non-academic—so they come to school ready to learn.
The model we use to provide these services places a Communities In Schools site coordinator in a school to assess needs, make a plan, and coordinate intensive interventions for the kids most at risk for dropping out, along with services geared to the entire school. The site coordinator works with local community service partners such as social service agencies, businesses, health care providers and volunteers to connect students with needed resources.
Every child has tremendous potential. We help students unlock their abilities and talents, giving them a brighter future.
- One-to-one services such as academic help, physical and mental health care, mentoring, or college and career preparation help.
- School-wide offerings such as basic needs of food and clothing, and after-school enrichment programs meeting broad student needs.
Locally, we track outcomes against rigorous total quality standards. Nationally, independent studies confirm that Communities In Schools offers a cost-effective, evidence-based model for dropout prevention.
- An economic impact study found that for every $1 invested in Communities In Schools, $11.60 comes back to the community.
- A five-year evaluation showed that of all organizations working toward student achievement, only Communities In Schools is proven to decrease dropout rates AND boost on-time graduation rates.
- Child Trends, a national research organization, affirmed the effectiveness and cost-efficiency of integrated student supports programs like Communities In Schools in improving education outcomes.